Mr. DeMott is a member of the firm’s Commercial, Banking and Business Law Group. Mr. DeMott also serves as the managing partner for the firm’s office in Savannah. Mr. DeMott’s primary area of concentration is commercial litigation.
For fifteen years, Mr. DeMott has litigated civil disputes throughout Georgia and South Carolina. He routinely handles trademarks and trade secrets matters, complex commercial and banking disputes, and cases involving secured transactions and negotiable instruments. Mr. DeMott also routinely litigates fiduciary matters, business torts, breach of fiduciary duties among business partners and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
Mr. DeMott and his wife, Heather, are the proud parents of four children.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial, Banking And Business Law
- Agricultural Law
- Banks And Financial Institutions
- Business Law And Transactions
- Business Litigation
- Corporate Law
- Creditors' Rights - Consumer And Commercial Collections
- Real Estate Law
- Commercial Real Estate
- Residential Real Estate
- Wealth And Business Planning
- Estate Litigation & Administration
- Regent University School of Law, Virginia Beach, VirginiaJ.D., cum laude, 2001
- Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GeorgiaB.A., cum laude, 1996
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, Tifton, GeorgiaA.A., 1994
- Georgia, 2001
- South Carolina, 2003
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 2002
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 2005
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- South Carolina Court of Appeals
- South Carolina Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2002
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2013
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent(r) Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- 2015 Distinguished Alumnus, Valdosta State University, College of Arts and Sciences, English Department
- Selected as a Rising Star in Business Litigation by Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- 2011 Metro Valdosta's 4 Under 40 Outstanding Young Professional
- Graduate, State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Leadership Academy, 2010
- Regent Law Review, 1999 – 2001 (Member, Managing Editor)
- Regent Negotiations Board, 1999-2001 (Member)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia (Member, Intellectual Property Law Section; Member, Business Law Section)
- State Bar of South Carolina
- Savannah Bar Association, International Trademark Association
- Young Lawyers of Augusta (Executive Board Member, 2003)
- Augusta Bar Association
- The James Kent Chapter of the American Inns of Court (Member, 2000 – 2001)
- Valdosta Bar Association (Treasurer, 2011 – 2012)
Presentations and Publications
- Frieler v. Tangipahoa Parish Board of Education: Disclaiming the Gospel of Modern Science, 13 REGENT U. L. REV. 597, 2001
Other Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Independent Presbyterian Church
- Mentor, State Bar of Georgia, Transition into Law Practice Program
- Ambassador, Regent University School of Law Ambassador Program
- Viad Corp v. United States Steel Corporation, 343 Ga. Ap. 609 (Ct. App. 2017)
- B & F Sys. v. LeBlanc, 519 Fed. App’x. 537 (11th Cir. 2013).
- Southern States Coop., Inc. v. Melick Aquafeeds, Inc., 476 Fed. App’x. 185 (11th Cir. 2012).
- Aames Funding Corp. v. Henderson, 275 Ga. App. 323 (Ga. Ct. App. 2005).
- Catholic Stewardship Consultants, Inc. v. Ruotolo Assocs., Inc., 270 Ga. App. 751 (Ga. Ct. App. 2004).
- Resnick v. Meybohm Realty, Inc., 269 Ga. App. 486 (Ga. Ct. App. 2004).
- Raburn Bonding Co. v. State, 244 Ga. App. 386 (Ga. Ct. App. 2000).